NAMI Basics is a free, 6-week education program for parents and family caregivers of children and teens who are experiencing symptoms of a mental illness or whom have already been diagnosed. The NAMI Basics course is taught by trained teachers who are the parent or other caregivers of individuals who developed the symptoms of mental illness prior to the age of 13 years. The course generally consists of six classes, each lasting for 2 ½ hours.
The fundamentals of caring for you and your child with mental illness.
NAMI BASICS is an education program for parents and other care givers of children/adolescents living with mental illness. The course covers:
- Recognition of mental illness as a continuing traumatic event for the child and the family
- Sensitivity to the subjective emotional issues faced by family caregivers and well children in the family
- Recognition of the need to help reduce the day-to-day objective burdens of care and management
- Gaining confidence and stamina for what can be a life-long role of family understanding and support
- Empowerment of caregivers as effective advocates for their children
Jefferson City – Register here
Start Date: Sunday, March 4, 2018
End Date: Sunday, March 18, 2018
Number of sessions: 3
Time: 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Location: NAMI Missouri Office, 3405 W Truman Blvd, #102, Jefferson City, Mo 65109
Notes: This free, 3-session course will run for three consecutive Sundays from 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm.
Joplin – Register here
Start Date: Saturday, March 10, 2018
End Date: Saturday, March 17 , 2018
Number of sessions: 2
Time: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Location: NAMI Joplin Office, 1601 S. Wall St., Joplin, Mo 64804
Notes: This free, 2-session course will run for two consecutive Saturdays from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.